Wednesday 29 July 2015

Holiday Knitting. . .

Not too long now before I'll be on holiday and I'm excited that I finally have enough hand knits to take a whole wardrobe with me!  I'm planning on packing at least ten knits - tops, cardigans, shawls - and wearing the heck out of them with pride.  At least I won't bump into someone with the same outfit. 


Of course, I'll be taking some holiday knitting with me.   I've joined the Scollayalong over at Knit British and BritYarn, and cast on for the Scollay Cardigan, designed by Karie Westermann.  I'm knitting it in Wendy Ramsdale, which is 100% British wool and very, very soft and cozy. I want this to be my go-to cardigan for the autumn so I am making a few modifications, adding pockets and knitting most of the body in stockinette rather than reverse as I just like the look better.  I'll revert to the reverse when I hit the yoke as the lace pattern has a bit of texture that will show up well on the reverse fabric.  I've knitted the body and will hopefully knit the sleeves on holiday.


And then for some mindless knitting and a project I can whip out at any time, even for the briefest of moments, I'm about 40% through Viajante, designed by Martina Behm.  This is an enormous cowl/poncho/shawl knit in laceweight.  After a garter stitch triangle, you basically join in the round and knit the rest until it's the size you want.  I'm using two yarns - a variegated Madeline Tosh and this gorgeous almost midnight blue laceweight from Natural Born Dyers that will pick up some of the blue in the other yarn.  It's taking forever but is strangely addictive and I can't wait until I'm ready to start with the blue. Still ruminating over how to handle the transition - perhaps stripes, perhaps some pixelation.  We'll see.  At any rate, I've got more than enough to occupy myself for a few days.


No comments: